Friday, January 2, 2015

The truth behind MS

Before I was diagnosed with MS, I only knew of a few people with MS. The people I knew were diagnosed before there were any treatments for MS. Since there weren't any treatments the disease progressed faster than for people like me who started treatment right away.

Multiple sclerosis effects everyone differently so no two people will have the same symptoms. When I was diagnosed with MS I was upset because I assumed I'd be in a wheelchair. But, over time I realized that not everyone with MS will need a wheelchair. Plus, I also decided if I have to use a wheelchair I will wear all my cute heels that I haven't been able to wear often ;) 

Woman with MS can have babies and have a completely normal pregnancy. The only issue a mother may have is that once having a baby some women experience a relapse. Plus, there isn't any research that MS is past down from mother to child. There is a small percent chance that if you are related to someone with MS that you can get MS but it isn't that high of a possibility. 

Everyday I wish I could have my old life back. When I first went to my new neurologist (a doctor who works solely with MS patients) told me that I was "lucky" because I was young (even though I thought otherwise) and that I was female. Women are more likely than men to develop MS, but women tend to do better than men with MS. Plus, just because I have MS doesn't mean I can't live a full and great life. 

I'm not sure why, but people with MS tend to have low levels of vitamin D. When I first started seeing doctors they did blood work and my vitamin D levels were really low. I was given a prescription to take 50,000 units once a week for at least a month. Now I get 5,000 units of vitamin D daily. 

There are four different types of MS: relapsing-remitting (which is the most common form and the type of MS I have), primary-progressive, secondary-progressive, and progressive-relasping. To monitor the symptoms and lesions of the brain yearly or sometimes more MRIs. 

There are several disease modifying drugs on the market today. Plus, the best news of all is there are several pills. When I was first diagnosed I was given a daily injection Copaxone. Copaxone was very acidic so when I first started taking it it would burn so bad. I still have whelps from where I did the shots were done. Since I wouldn't let anyone help me with my shots I was limited to where I could do them because when I was first diagnosed with MS I was finishing my last semester at LSU so I had to do them myself. Then, once I moved home I was so used to doing them myself so I wouldn't let anyone help me. Luckily after 3 years I was able to switch to Tecfidera one of the pills and I love it some much!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment