Friday, January 30, 2015

Happy New Year to Me

Lately life has been crazy, overwhelming, and difficult. I have gone to so many doctors and had so many tests run since January 1. We have gone round and round over what the cause of my drop foot is. Since the cause is unknown I've had to go to several doctors.

First, I had an MRI of my lower back because several people who experience drop foot have issues with herniated disks. Unfortunately the MRI didn't show anything and my doctor even asked the radiologist if he could reread the results. But, the results were the same.

Next, I have an EMG, which basically told my neurologist where the problems were occurring. Which, the test was very informative but it was very uncomfortable. We learned the problem started around my knee and went down to my foot, on the right side. 

Once the EMG results were sent to my neurologist she called me (yes the doctor called not the nurse). They concluded that there may be two causes of my drop foot it's either endometriosis or a vascular problem. So it looks like surgery may be in my near future. 

This afternoon I'll be going to physical therapy to see if they can help. I'm just so frustrated today. I can't tell count the number of times I've falling since January 1.  So I was hoping the new year would be full of happiness and good health, but that ship sailed. I'm not sure if it's the anemia or what but right now I have bruises every where and some are pretty bad. But, several people have told me I fall very gracefully I guess that's a good thing.


This was a very small bruise but after falling Tuesday and Friday it's gotten worse.


Right now I'm just so frustrated. I know my doctors are doing all they can (my neurologist is pretty amazing and doesn't skip on test). Right now I need to be patient but anyone who truly knows me knows patience isn't my strong point (I get that from my dad). All I want is to be able to walk and not worry about anything. 

Yesterday I got a brace for my foot. I have mixed feelings about it. It's hard because it doesn't really fit in most of my shoes. I did find one pair of shoes it first in, so unfortunately (if you know me you know that it's driving me crazy) I'll be wearing those shoes for the next few weeks. But, It is nice because with the brace I don't need my crutches, cane, or the wheelchair. I do like being able to walk unassisted. Now I have both of my hands free for picking up Snuggles and anything else. 

It is few weird right now. The brace comes just below my knee and it's slightly awkward. Hopefully I'll start to get used to it because it looks like I'll be wearing it for quite some time. I really have mixed feelings about it right now. 

It seems that this is NOT MS related. Which means the two days of steroids didn't help nor did the epidural steroid shot. But, right now there are two theories of what may be causing my drop foot. The first is that it could be endometriosis related or it could be vascular. Since the drop foot happened so suddenly they have said if it's vascular it's not a tumor or anything like that. Sometimes people get benign tumors. But, usually those cases usually happen slowly. 

For me, I took a short nap New Year's day and when I woke up I couldn't walk and my foot was completely numb. People with MS (or maybe just me) talk about numbness there are different types. There are the times where it's numb but I can still function fairly well. But, this time is different, when the PA started to do the exam it didn't go well. She took a safety pin to see if I could feel that and I could't. That's when they started to due more tests, including the first MRI.

Yesterday I had another MRI, but it was very odd. I'm sure the doctor order it with and without contrast. They put the IV in before I even went in the tube, usually they do the first images and then due the IV. That wasn't what made it odd though. After they took the initial pictures the nurse left and said she'd be right back but she wanted to see if the radiologist wanted to use contrast. It caught me  off guard because why would they put the IV in if they weren't sure if the contrast was need.

Then, when they came to get me, the lady they came to get me told my mom it would be about 45 minutes to an hour. I was in there for an hour and a half. That was also strange for me because I've had several MRIs since my initial diagnosis in 2010 and know of them took that long. The one MRI that probably took that long was when they did a MRI of my head, neck, and upper back. The nurse did tell me the radiologist was going to compare the lower spine MRI to the abdominal MRI.

I'm torn of course I'd rather not have surgery, but if they found something maybe I can have surgery and be back to normal. I know they doctors are doing everything they can, but it's frustrating. I just want it to be over with.  It's already been a month and it's hard to have to depend on everyone else to bring me places or pick me up. I hate not being independent. It's so hard and I'm just at a point where I'm not sure how much longer I can keep smiling and pretending life is perfect. But, I know there are people out there with more serious issues and I know I'm lucky. I have an amazing team of doctors who are doing anything and everything they can. 

I'm trying to be strong but it's becoming harder and harder. Right now I'd pretty much do whatever I could to make me leg better. Even though I don't usually go to many places and I obviously don't have a job, but sometimes I'd like an option to go where if I could . Instead I'm sitting here wondering when my leg will be better, It's just so frustrating. Ever time we think we have a clue of what's causing, but I still try to do what i can to present everything is fine. I just want to be able to function by myself without depending on others. It's not that I'm one of those people who never asks for help, trust me I love help, but I hate not being able to do anything myself. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment