Sunday, January 4, 2015

I want to restart 2015!

At the beginning of every new year I always pray for better health. When I was little it was in reference to ear infections, then to endometriosis, and since being diagnosed with MS that's my biggest wish for every new year.

Last Thanksgiving and Christmas was horrible! What was supposed to help my pain ended up causing more pain and I got a 5 day hospital stay. Then, right before Christmas I finally started feeling better. But, due to all the trauma my body went through while I was in the hospital my immune system decided it needed to go into over drive.

I started 2014 in a relapse that took forever to go away. It was the longest relapse I've had to date and I did 3 days of high dose steroids and waited the 2 weeks for it to take full effect. After the two weeks I had gained some mobility back but still wasn't able to move my arm at all.

Throughout the end of 2014, most of my major MS symptoms came with an infection of some sort. It makes sense, my body starts fighting off a sinus infection and then begins attacking itself. It's amazing how the body works like that. From June until November there were at least 2 or 3 times when I started having major symptoms but ended up on antibiotics and was in the clear.

Well, late New Year's Day my right leg went numb. It wasn't the usual numb, this is like I can't feel my foot/leg at all! I can move my leg but I cannot wiggle my toes. I tried my cane which didn't help in the least bit and that's when I started freaking out. My mom and I were quickly running out of ideas. Luckily I had crutches from a knee surgery when I was about 13 so my mom was like just try. I gave in and decided to try. It did help, thank God! I don't know what I would have done if I'd have been stuck in the bed.

The bad news was that I knew that my neurologist couldn't do anything because of the 24 hour rule (you must experience a symptom for at least 24 hours). But, Friday morning I woke up and it was still numb but started coughing. I had been coughing for a few days, but it wasn't a serious cough like some. I was still paranoid because I didn't know what options I had. Until, around 10:15 ish I started coughing up mucus.

I was almost relieved for a little while because I was thinking if I had an infection then it may be what caused my leg to go numb. After coughing up mucus for awhile, I called another doctor to see if they could call in antibiotics for my cough. I was very excited that it would help my leg. But, while the cough is getting better my leg is still not much different. It's so frustrating. I hate having to deal with all the aspects of MS. It's such a confusing disease and there's not always an answer like you feel there should be.

Now, I am wishing the clock would go by faster so I can call and hopefully get on steroids tomorrow I'm also worried about them! The last time I took steroids was Christmas Day 2014 and I did them orally. There were absolutely disgusting! But, the other choice would be going for 3 days of infusions. I am a hard stick, but I think this time I may just go with the IV and pray for the best. I just want my leg to feel normal! The start of 2015 was only good for about 8 hours and it was all down hill from then. I hope tomorrow they are able to start steroids because I have a busy couple of weeks and I can't be stuck at home.

Of course it's my right leg, any time I need to drive places it's always my right leg. But, no worries I will stay home with my Snuggles before I would ever venture going out with a foot that doesn't work! I get paranoid driving if my leg is only slightly numb. I just hope that after this episode I'll be able to re-start the new year!  

On days like the past few days, when I'm having a really tough time with MS I just give Snuggles
some love! He doesn't care if I'm stuck in bed and can't walk for. Actually, right now I can't hold him 
while I'm walking. I just do what I can. He is okay with us just watching TV and trying to get my
mind off the fact that I still cannot feel my leg nor wiggle my toes. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment