Saturday, January 3, 2015

Medicine and Cost of MS

Multiple Sclerosis is the 2nd most expensive chronic illness second to congestive heart failure. I've always had good taste, apparently my body decided if I was going to an autoimmune disease it has to be one of the most expensive.

The first medicine I took for MS was Copaxone, a daily shot, costs $5,500 - $6,000. The day I got the call from the insurance company, and so many other people I don't really know where this guy was calling from but he told me my copay would be 20% every month! That would have been $1,100 a month, but thankfully when the speciality pharmacy called I was told that my copay would be $50 for a 3 month supply. Plus, the nurse at my neurologist asked how much I pay because they have a copay program so that no one should pay more than $35 a month.



The medicine I take for MS now, Tecfidera, costs between $5,100-$5,400. They also have a copay where they also have a copay that's $10 a month. My insurance company now works toward prescription medicines so once I met my deductible I get all my medicines for free. It really is awesome because some of the medicines I take are expensive so it helps on so many levels.

Plus, long term people with MS may have to retire early due to disabilities. Therefore, it can be financially hard, especially if you don't have a lot of money saved to help with the costs of going to doctors, hospital stays, medicine, and so much.

For doctors to monitor MS patients have to at least have one MRI every year. In 2013 I had at least 4 MRIs and in 2014 I had two MRIs. The MRIs are not cheap, the first one is usually $750 and then the price drops for the second and additional to maybe $400 ish. When I was first diagnosed with MS I was very overwhelmed by all the financial costs.

In a lifetime, MS costs patients roughly $2.2 million. That's insane and it's hard to hear that when you're only 22 years old really hit me hard. I got really upset telling my mom and dad that I'd have to work just to be able to continue to see all my doctors (I have about 9 doctors).

Due to my MS symptoms and other unrelated issues I have to take 19 prescription medicines. I hate it, but I know I have to take them so that my symptoms don't get worse. Having a stable MRI (meaning no new lesions) is huge and every time you go in the tunnel that's what I always pray for!

There are times when I don't take medicine, if I don't take sleep medicine I cannot go to sleep at all. I've stayed up for over at least 60 hours before. I hate not being able to sleep! The lack of sleep makes me delirious, my heart starts racing, my face gets red, and usually my pain goes through the roof. I try to lie down and take slow deep breaths and any and every trick I know to help me sleep!

0 comments:

Post a Comment