Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Pretty in Pink

I usually write about my struggles with MS and how it's affected and changed my life over the past four years. While multiple sclerosis is a major health issue I deal with from day to day, but I'm "lucky" in a very unlucky way.

October is one of my favorite times of the year, but not because of halloween like most people. October is breast cancer awareness month and as someone who has a slight obsession with pink, I get excited about all the products that come in pink. Over the years I've collected quite a lot of pink items during October like pink knives set, a pink coffee pot, pink/black Northface jacket, and so much more!



Until four years ago, I supported breast cancer awareness because of all things pink. But, after a CT-scan of my abdomen showed a shadow it changed. The radiologist really felt that the shadow needed to be checked out so I underwent a sonogram of my right breast looking for any masses. Prior to having the ultrasound so many people told me it was nothing and not to worry. 

I really wasn't worried about the ultrasound, I was actually glad I didn't have to have a mammogram. The technician did the ultrasound and left the room for about 10-15 minutes. I was feeling like I was in the clear because she didn't measure anything. But, then she came back and went to a specific area, where she started measuring. 

I can't read ultrasounds, but I had enough knowledge to know there wasn't anything she should be measuring in my breast. At that point my heart sank because I knew they saw something on the ultrasound and the shadow they saw on the CT scan was that mass.

Again, she left the room and said she'd be back in a few minutes. This time it seemed she was out of the room for a very long time. Then, all the sudden several people came in the room. The technician, nurses, and the radiologist all came in the room. 

The radiologist proceed to tell me that she was very worried about the mass because of it's shape. She also said it would need to be biopsied but she didn't feel comfortable doing it because it was so deep. There was only one other radiologist that could do the biopsy and he was only at the hospital on Tuesdays and Thursdays. 

Oddly enough, I was overly calm and numb over the situation. I scheduled the biopsy and prayed a lot. The day of the biopsy I was very nervous and anxious. 

The nurse took me into the room and talked me through what would happen. I was told they would give me lidocaine shots and they would use the ultrasound to guide the biopsy. The radiologist would take between 6-8 samples of the tissue mass.

I'm usually a huge fan of lidocaine, but when injected in the breast it was extremely painful. Then, I could feel the needle going in, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure what was worse -- more lidocaine or just praying for it to me over. Since it was so deep, the radiologist had a difficult time getting the needle to the area. After taking 2 samples he decided that was all he was going to get because the risks were high for a punctured lung or other complication. 

The worst part of the ordeal was waiting for the results. While I waited I prayed a lot and asked my guardian angels to watch over me. Then, I finally got the results and it wasn't cancer! That was the best news I could have ever asked to hear. 

I don't think I could have handled cancer and multiple sclerosis. It took me awhile to come to terms with the MS diagnosis, I appeared to be okay but when I was alone I was still struggling with that. I have dealt with several health issues throughout my life, but I really struggled with MS the most. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment